The DPC’s roots go back to the 1890’s when the Kyndwr Club
was first formed to walk, climb and cave in the White and Dark Peak of
Derbyshire, a long time before the Peak District National Park was created. The
membership then consisted of professional ‘gentlemen’, some of strong
personalities, and it was not many years before a rift appeared in the
membership and sides were taken. History dictates that the final decline of the
Kyndwr Club was due to the argument that occurred after the ascent of High Tor
Gully in Matlock by J.W.Puttrell. A miffed E.A.Baker questioned the validity of
the ascent and it was not long before indignant letters were being written in
the national and climbing press between Baker and friends of Puttrell. The
Kyndwr Club soon afterwards disbanded.
The DPC was then formed in November 1906, by J.W.Puttrell and friends. Puttrell was the leading pioneer of cave exploration and climbing in Derbyshire in the years before the First World War, and his name, and Henry Bishop, appears in many of the historical sections of the Peak guide series. Caving was also an important activity of the Club and many Derbyshire caves and mines were discovered or re-explored.
The First World War brought activities to a close, and in 1919 the club continued with its explorations. The Club became the authority of Derbyshire caving, and the last great Club discovery was that of Nettle Pot, which they dug out in the 1930’s. As other clubs were formed, and caving and climbing became a much more popular pastime, the years after the Second World War saw a decline in the Club’s exploration activities, and more into social climbing, walking and caving meets, activities which the Club continues with to the present day.
Website constructed by Rob Peppit
© Copyright - Derbyshire Pennine Club 2007